Saturday, May 24, 2014

Review: Don't Expect Magic by Kathy McCullough

Title: Don't Expect Magic (Magic, #1)
Series: There's a second book!
Genre: Young Adult-Contemporary
Author: Kathy McCullough
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: November 8, 2011
Book: Hardback, Borrowed from Carmel (Thank you!)
Recommended for: Fans of contemporary story that is mix with fairy tale and magic.




GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:
                      
                            

Delaney Collins doesn't believe in fairy tales. And why should she? Her mom is dead, her best friend is across the country, and she's stuck in California with "Dr. Hank," her famous life-coach father—a man she barely knows. Happily ever after? Yeah, right.

Then Dr. Hank tells her an outrageous secret: he's a fairy godmother—an f.g.—and he can prove it. And by the way? The f.g. gene is hereditary. Meaning there's a good chance that New Jersey tough girl Delaney is someone's fairy godmother.

But what happens when a fairy godmother needs a wish of her own?



MY THOUGHTS:


A great story that taught me great lessons. Totally worth reading!

Characters are realistic. It's what I always find in stories. I can relate to Delaney about her issues with her father, Dr. Hank. They haven't seen each other since Dr. Hank left Delaney with her mother, who died and that's why Delaney was forced (well, kind of) to live with her father in Southern California.

'Dr. Hank: The big wishes are always about love. That's just the way people are.'
'Delaney: People are idiots.'


Delaney is a fun character. She's hard-headed, witty, cool, and selfless. I love her personality even though she doesn't listen to her father or teacher(s) sometimes. I find her amusing whenever she talks about her teachers. She always have something to say about everything. She's cool because she's artistic (the talent I don't have and I guess I'll never have), she designs her boots to make it more cooler. AND SHE'S FREAKING SELFLESS! She doesn't care about herself and she wants everyone to be happy. Isn't that sweet? I also love that Miss Popular (Cadie) in this book isn't the bitchy type. She's a good person and Delaney helped her to be the person she really wants to be.

I can sense that Dr. Hank is trying to be a good father to Delaney. He's trying in every possible way to make Delaney feel comfortable in her new environment and I love how he taught Delaney that there are certain things in life that you can't get easily.

The guy in this story, which is Flynn, is geeky and fun too. He is in the yearbook group together with Delaney and he loves to take photos of almost everything he finds interesting. There's NO love triangle and insta-love. I'm like 'Wow.'

"Everybody's screwed up in some ways but they get more screwed up when they try to change themselves." - Delaney
 
In this book I learned that you can't be anyone else but yourself and it takes hard work and also time to get what you want because in real life, there's no fairy godmother/father and magic.

At some point in this book, it got boring but then when the magic starts brewing, I got excited about what will happen so I continued and gladly it did not disappointed me. The ending is okay. I don't know if it's good that it ended that way or if it's a cliffhanger but in my opinion, I'm happy it ended that way, everybody's happy and contented with their lives. If I would read book two, I hope it won't disappoint me.
 
RATING:
(My rating is actually) 4.5 hearts! *winks*
 Very good even though there's some boring parts.


2 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I love anything that has to do with "magic" :) Might read it sometime. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS