Friday, July 18, 2014

Review: Starters by Lissa Price

Title: Starters (Starters, #1)
Series: (There's a second book, not sure if it's going to be a trilogy, though.)
Genre: Young Adult - Science Fiction, Dystopia
Author: Lissa Price
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: March 13th 2012
Book: Paperback, Borrowed from Carmel (Thanks!)
Recommended for: Lovers of dystopian novels or probably, everyone.




GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:

                                                       
 
HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER.

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .

MY THOUGHTS:

1.
EVENTS:It wasn't really action-packed like I expected it to be but there was something about this book that sucked me in and I honestly don't know what it is. At the first half, I thought about DNF-ing this book but then as I reached about chapter fifteen, maybe, it got better and I couldn't stop reading until I realized that I'm finish. The revelations shocked me and there was one scene that broke my heart. 

2. CHARACTERS: 

Callie, at first, reminded me of Katniss because she cares about her brother, Tyler, more than herself and she would do anything for him. Callie is a brave and hardworking girl and I love that she's not self-centered. The side characters are Helena (the renter), Blake (Callie's kind of boyfriend), Michael (Callie's best friend), Sara, Madison, and Lauren. When Helena rented Callie's body for about a month, she met few other people like Helena, renters. My favorite character would be... Madison. She is like Callie whose body is rented by an Ender. I can say that Madison is a great character since she proved that she is a great friend and she helped Callie through everything.

3. CONCEPT & WRITING STYLE:

 The concept was simply good. It's not the typical story of a teenager who will fight against bad government. It's somehow different, there are still bad guys but they are not 'government', they are some kind of company (I think?) that recruits unclaimed minors to be a donor (teenager with good looks). A Starters body is going to be rented by a Ender (or renter, obviously). Starters are the young ones in the community while Enders are the older people who will be renting bodies that belongs to the Starters so that they could enjoy life once more. As for the writing style, it was well-written. Everything was perfectly understandable.


4. FINAL VERDICT:

The ending was a bit intriguing and shocking. There was one question in my mind after reading the ending: Who the hell is the Old Man? It was an awesome book, I didn't expect I'd love it. IT WAS AWESOME. Okay? Okay. *winks*

RATING:

4 hearts!

Even though some parts were kind of boring, it worked well and just awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog and it's one of the prettiest things I've ever seen! This is a great review, Kyla! Eeeeek! Fellow filipina bloggers, oh my gods I love it! haha! <3

    Lyanna
    www.bookbeasties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyanna! Thank you for admiring our newbie blog. I'm sure Kyla will be delighted! <3

      Delete

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS