Saturday, October 25, 2014

ARC Review: Forbidden by Kimberley Griffiths Little

FORBIDDEN
Young Adult - Historical Fiction, Romance, Fantasy
Publication: November 4th 2014 by HarperCollins
Recommended for: People who loves to historical fiction filled romance. 
AMAZON || B&N || GOODREADS
GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:                                                         
In the unforgiving Mesopotamian desert where Jayden’s tribe lives, betrothal celebrations abound, and tonight it is Jayden’s turn to be honored. But while this union with Horeb, the son of her tribe’s leader, will bring a life of riches and restore her family’s position within the tribe, it will come at the price of Jayden’s heart.

Then a shadowy boy from the Southern Lands appears. Handsome and mysterious, Kadesh fills Jayden’s heart with a passion she never knew possible. But with Horeb’s increasingly violent threats haunting Jayden’s every move, she knows she must find a way to escape—or die trying.

With a forbidden romance blossoming in her heart and her family’s survival on the line, Jayden must embark on a deadly journey to save the ones she loves—and find a true love for herself.

Set against the brilliant backdrop of the sprawling desert, the story of Jayden and Kadesh will leave readers absolutely breathless as they defy the odds and risk it all to be together
*eARC was provided by the author in exchange of my honest review.*

MY THOUGHTS:

I find this review very hard to write because I had a lot of expectations from this book and I'm kind of disappointed. It was an okay read for me, nothing too spectacular. I think this book deserves all the five star reviews on Goodreads, but I'm really sad that it didn't meet my expectations. There were times that I wanted to DNF this book because I was getting bored of the camel and desert fuss but I decided to continue since there some parts that made me curious about what will happen in the end. The storyline was a bit slow but I'd still consider it okay. The romance between Jayden and Kadesh is a genuine kind of insta-love. It wasn't annoying. It was actually cute, sweet, and of course, forbidden. Their love story is forbidden because Jayden has been promised to marry their tribe leader's son, Horeb, since they were children. Jayden really despises Horeb because he is definitely an asshole. I hate him SO much!

The characters are great but some were very frustrating. I like Jayden because she's a really sweet and strong person. She's been through  a lot of hard times in this book but she remained very strong, I admire her for that. Jayden is very devoted to her family. She's an amazing protagonist and she is one of my favorite book heroines now! !I like Kadesh too. He's a very dreamy, gorgeous, and mysterious guy. The way Jayden describes Kadesh is very heavenly and hot, so I'm not blaming Jayden for falling in love with him! (Who wouldn't fall for a dreamy, gorgeous, and mysterious guy?!) I'm considering him as one of book boyfriends now. As for Horeb, I consider him as the villain in this book, I hate him so much! He's very arrogant and he only thinks about himself. UGH, MAJOR TURN OFF. Then there is Jayden's relative, Dinah, I'm super annoyed with her actions. I don't like her. Period.
 
The plot was very unique, I love it so much. I knew what a Mesopotamian desert because of this book and I'm glad I knew what it is all about. I've never read any desert-setting novels before until this one. There were unexpected twists which I really loved! It added lots of excitement to the book which made me want to read more. Forbidden is very different from any other book I've read, I consider this book special. I love the author's writing style, it was eloquent. Everything was easy to understand.

The ending almost made me cry. It ended badly for Jayden and of course, for me. I'm not okay with the ending but I am HOPING that something better will happen in the next two books since this will be a trilogy! YEP, A TRILOGY! I'm so happy and excited for the next two books!

My reaction when I found out it will be a trilogy:
I'm not a big fan of historical fiction but this was a good one. There were inconsistencies but I still enjoyed and loved this book. I'd still recommend it if you love reading historical fiction romance. I'm actually still looking forward to read the second book since I still want to know more about what will happen between Jayden and Kadesh. They're my OTP. If you want to read something different, try reading Forbidden.

RATING:

 ACTUAL RATING: 3.5 HEARTS!

Troglodyte forever,

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on Horeb, Jayden's love for her family, and the "genuine kind of insta-love". I also almost DNF this book but I'm glad I carried on--I end up liking it!

    Apart from Horeb and Dinah, Laila (Jayden's sister) made my hate list too. So selfish. Pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost DNF this book as well but I'm glad I continued! Oh yeah, I hated Laila too! I jsut forgot to include her in my review. Thanks for stopping by, Michelle! :D

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS