Thursday, November 13, 2014

Review: Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold by Iain Reading

KITTY HAWK AND THE CURSE OF THE YUKON GOLD (Kitty Hawk Flying Detective Agency #1)
Young Adult - Adventure, Mystery
Published December 2012 (Self-pub)
Recommended for: Fans of Amelia Earhart and Nancy Drew. Totally recommended for people who likes to read adventure novels!
GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:
Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is the thrilling first installment in a new series of adventure mystery stories that are one part travel, one part history and five parts adventure. This first book of the Kitty Hawk Flying Detective Agency Series introduces Kitty Hawk, an intrepid teenage pilot with her own De Havilland Beaver seaplane and a nose for mystery and intrigue. A cross between Amelia Earhart, Nancy Drew and Pippi Longstocking, Kitty is a quirky young heroine with boundless curiosity and a knack for getting herself into all kinds of precarious situations.

After leaving her home in the western Canadian fishing village of Tofino to spend the summer in Alaska studying humpback whales Kitty finds herself caught up in an unforgettable adventure involving stolen gold, devious criminals, ghostly shipwrecks, and bone-chilling curses. Kitty's adventure begins with the lingering mystery of a sunken ship called the Clara Nevada and as the plot continues to unfold this spirited story will have armchair explorers and amateur detectives alike anxiously following every twist and turn as they are swept along through the history of the Klondike Gold Rush to a suspenseful final climatic chase across the rugged terrain of Canada's Yukon, the harsh land made famous in the stories and poems of such writers as Jack London, Robert Service and Pierre Berton. It is a riveting tale that brings to glorious life the landscape and history of Alaska's inside passage and Canada's Yukon, as Kitty is caught up in an epic mystery set against the backdrop of the scenery of the Klondike Gold Rush.

Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is a perfect book to fire the imagination of readers of all ages. Filled with fascinating and highly Google-able locations and history this book will inspire anyone to learn and experience more for themselves as Kitty prepares for her next adventure - flying around the world!
*A copy was provided in exchange of my honest review.*

MY THOUGHTS:

I find this book very fun and entertaining, even though there were unnecessary parts and the storyline was a bit slow in the beginning. It was still an amazing book filled with adventure and mystery. What amazed me the most about this book is how the author compiled different real stories involving the gold rush into a fictional book with a very young protagonist like Kitty Hawk.

When I knew what this book is about, I already expected that this book will remind me of Nancy Drew, a book by Carolyn Keene (also a game produced by Her Interactive) and it actually did remind of Nancy Drew because of the adventure and mystery in this book. Kitty reminds me of Nancy Drew because of her intelligence and courage. They also both have boundless curiosity toward things around them, which I found fascinating. The only difference between them is Nancy Drew is a much more experienced detective than Kitty. They are both very unique though, I love them so much!

The main character is Kitty Hawk. A quirky, fun, and smart protagonist. Kitty did a good job with proving that she's a strong and independent young woman. I was really fascinated (and a bit jealous) because Kitty can drive a plane! YEP, A PLANE. How awesome is that?! I really enjoyed being inside Kitty's head, it was fun. I couldn't stop myself from laughing because of her funny thoughts.

I like the plot, it's something I haven't read before. Very unique. Even though I didn't see the author writing this book personally, I know that he's done a lot of research for this book. Well, I know that authors do research for their books but Mr. Reading did something that really fascinated me a lot, his research about the gold rush are bit hard because he needed to compile all of his research and make it into a book that everyone will enjoy. I'm sure it took him days (maybe months, even years) before finishing this book, but if it only took him a short span of time, then that is amazing. His writing style was very articulate, every part understandable but as I said, there are some parts that got boring.

I enjoyed reading this book a lot, I would recommend it to people who loves a book that is filled with adventure and mystery. Detective wannabes, this is a perfect read for you (for us)! If you love Nancy Drew, you'll love Kitty Hawk!

RATING:
4 HEARTS!

It entertained me, highly recommended for adventure lovers!
P.S. I'm really hoping to read the other books in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS