Saturday, December 13, 2014

Review: Trust Me, I'm Lying by Mary Elizabeth Summers

TRUST ME, I'M LYING (Trust Me #1)

YA - Contemporary, Mystery/Thriller, Romance
Published October 14th 2014 by Delacorte Press
Source: HB, Borrowed from Carmel (Thanks!)
GOODREADS || AMAZON
GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:
Fans of Ally Carter, especially her Heist Society readers, will love this teen mystery/thriller with sarcastic wit, a hint of romance, and Ocean’s Eleven–inspired action.

Julep Dupree tells lies. A lot of them. She’s a con artist, a master of disguise, and a sophomore at Chicago’s swanky St. Agatha High, where her father, an old-school grifter with a weakness for the ponies, sends her to so she can learn to mingle with the upper crust. For extra spending money Julep doesn’t rely on her dad—she runs petty scams for her classmates while dodging the dean of students and maintaining an A+ (okay, A-) average.

But when she comes home one day to a ransacked apartment and her father gone, Julep’s carefully laid plans for an expenses-paid golden ticket to Yale start to unravel. Even with help from St. Agatha’s resident Prince Charming, Tyler Richland, and her loyal hacker sidekick, Sam, Julep struggles to trace her dad’s trail of clues through a maze of creepy stalkers, hit attempts, family secrets, and worse, the threat of foster care. With everything she has at stake, Julep’s in way over her head . . . but that’s not going to stop her from using every trick in the book to find her dad before his mark finds her. Because that would be criminal.

MY THOUGHTS:

I wasn't expecting that this book turn me into an emotional wreck. It broke my heart into a million pieces. I just couldn't stop myself from getting affected with all the obstacles Julep is going through.
My only issue is that there are things left untold. I didn't get to know her real name and her Dad is still keeping secrets from her but it's okay since there will be book two! And I really hope that my question(s) will be answered in book two.

"(Julep's not my real name, either, but we'll get to that later.)"

Julep Dupree (I still don't know if that's her real name) is a determined and smart girl. On the outside she's a brave girl but inside she's a fragile girl who is afraid to lose someone she really loves, I guess we all are fragile when it comes to losing someone we love. I'm amazed by how she is determined to pull through the obstacles that is pushing her down. Honestly, I could not imagine myself surviving all those obstacles. It's so hard for me but I'm glad she survived.

'Coincidences are like unicorns -- you can believe in them all you want, but that doesn't make them real.' -- Julep

I'm glad that Julep has friends whom she could rely on, in the times of need. Sam Seward, Julep's BFF, is one of those fictional characters who you'd want to be your best friend, too. He's smart, a dependable sidekick, and a very amazing friend. He's there when Julep needs him and vice versa, until... Tyler Richland. Tyler is St. Agatha's resident Prince Charming and when he found out about the rat incident that happened to Julep, he instantly becomes Julep's knight in shining armor.

Of course, they fell in love with each other. And yes, there's romance in this book but behold because it did not overpower the mysterious and thrill-ish theme of the book, which I loved! The moments between Tyler and Julep definitely made me swoon. 

"I don't have any place. I don't have anyone." -- Julep
"You have me." -- Tyler

"Even if that's true, it doesn't explain why you're still here, given everything. Why you still care." -- Julep
"That same day, when you asked me what I want, I told you that I want to know what I want. Remember? [...] When I'm with you, I know what I want." -- Tyler

I'm #TeamTyler all the way despite what happened between them. I couldn't blame Julep for falling for Tyler. Tyler is a sweet guy and he's always there for Julep, like Sam, but the feeling is just different. I could not think more of Sam other than Julep's best friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Why are you even here? You could have just left it alone! I know I mean nothing to you, but you could have kept out of my way." -- Julep
"You mean everything to me. And that means I do whatever it takes to save you. Even if saving you means losing you." -- Tyler

From the first time I saw this book, I thought the plot was interesting and it really was when I got the chance to read the book.
This story taught me more about con artists and grifters. They make people believe in something that doesn't even exist. I was so curious about what's really happening that I couldn't stop reading even though it's already 1 AM. I love the thrills, suspense, and the plot twists! The unexpected twists kept me guessing and it made me love the book more. Summers did a great job writing this book. She crafted it well and she made crave for more.

I'm a big fan of mysteries and thrillers. From TV shows, movies, to books. If you're a fan of mysteries and thrillers, too, then pick this book up. Definitely worth reading! I'm looking forward for the other books in this series.

RATING:
4 HEARTS!


Troglodyte forever,

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS