Monday, February 09, 2015

Interview with Paula Stokes

I am so thrilled to interview Paula Stokes! Please welcome her to the blog! She will talk about her  upcoming novel,, which will be out next month.


 
How did you come up with the idea of Liars, Inc.?
A few different things inspired me: First, my general love of twisty mysteries comes from all the  and  novels that I’ve read. Those guys are not afraid to “write wild” which is what I always try to do. Editing and revision are places to tamp down the crazy, but I always try to go for it when I’m drafting. There’s one particular wild element in the book that I can’t talk about without being spoilery, but I have a psychology degree and I always wondered what it would take to drive someone to do this thing that someone does. Mysterious, huh? :D And then my older brother started an illegal lottery in sixth grade. Liars, Inc., the business, is sort of a more corrupt version of that.


Recommend your book Liars, Inc.

Fans of  , , and the TV show How to Get Away With Murder will probably enjoy LIARS, INC. Readers looking for a teen boy voice who actually sounds like a teen boy should give the book a try, as should people who like fast-paced contemporary thrillers and don’t mind swearing. 

  Do you see yourself in the one of your characters? 
(Not necessarily Liars, Inc.)

I see pieces of me in all of my characters—even the evil ones. I’m just meta like that ;-) As far as LIARS goes, I definitely share some traits with Parvati. I went through a big period in my 20s where I wanted to be in the military/CIA. I didn’t end up doing either of those things, partially because getting hired at the CIA is really hard, and because I had a medical condition as a kid that would’ve required a waiver to enter the military. (But they’ll take nurses up to a pretty advanced age and the possibility is always in the back of my head…) Parvati is much more morally flexible than I am (see, I’d be terrible in the CIA—I’m much too fluffy), but we both struggle against our dark and often self-destructive urges with varying degrees of success. It’s hard to be good when there’s a part of you that really thrives on being bad, you know? ;-)


Could you tell us more about your other works?

Here’s a really quick rundown. If you like fluffy and romantic contemporary things, check out (2014),  (2014), and  (2016). If you like historical murder romances (I think I made that genre up), you might enjoy (2012), (2013), and (2014), books I wrote with a packaging company as Fiona Paul. If you like all things dark and twisty, then you want  (2015), and (2016.)


What's next for Paula? 

I’m always working on a zillion projects (okay, three or four), so after LIARS there *might* be an indie NA book at the end of 2015—the fun variety, not the uber-dramatic kind—or else there will be and  in early 2016.  is a psychological thriller, the story of a high-tech Korean stunt girl who has to search worlds both real and virtual to find her missing sister. It’s dark, dramatic, and twisty. Perfect for fans of  or  is the story of an Irish girl who’s convinced she reflects bad luck on people around her. She crosses paths with a boy tennis pro who doesn’t believe in bad luck, and the two of them engage in a series of seven challenges designed to test her “curse.” It’s fun and romantic, perfect for fans of  or  .



Add LIARS, INC. on Goodreads!
Or you can always Pre-order on Amazon!


What book have you devoured over and over again?
GOING BOVINE by Libba Bray, another book with a well-drawn male protagonist.

If you could be a fictional character for a day, who would you be and why?
I would be Luna Lovegood, because she’s free-spirited, tolerant, and smart—three things I always try to be. Also, I like her fashion style. If not Luna then I’d be Harry on the day he rescued Buckbeak. Rescuing a hippogriff is basically the coolest thing anyone can do.

What are your three current wishes? [No wishing for more wishes.]
I wish for my lovely kitty Taz to stop pulling out his own fur. Apparently he has some kind of anxiety disorder :-(
I wish for my family to have continued good health (and in one case for a family member’s health to improve.)
I wish for LIARS, INC. to sell well enough that I can write a companion novel from Parvati’s POV.

Ice cream or Chocolate? Chocolate!
Twitter or Facebook? Twitterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D
Coke or Pepsi? I actually almost never drink soda anymore. Sparkling water, FTW.
Peeta or Gale? Gale is a smoking hot hunter-boy who took it upon himself to care for Katniss’s family while she went to the Capitol. Peeta is a helpless little brother type who almost dies a lot and bakes tasty bread. Unless you really like bread, this is a no-brainer.



 
About Paula Stokes:
Paula Stokes writes stories about flawed characters with good hearts who sometimes make bad decisions. She’s the author of THE ART OF LAINEY, INFINITE REPEAT, LIARS INC., and several other forthcoming YA novels. When she's not writing, she's kayaking, hiking, reading, or seeking out new adventures in faraway lands. Paula loves interacting with readers. Find her online at authorpaulastokes.com or on twitter as @pstokesbooks.

CONNECT WITH PAULA:


Thank you Paula for the chance to chat with you!

7 comments:

  1. What an awesome interview!! I really happy to hear we have more Paula books coming and I hope we'll continue to get at least one Paula book a year, fluffy or dark, or one of each! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview!! I want to read this so bad and this interview just made me want to read it even more!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ladies. I just wanted to say thanks for the interview and for for linking to all of those books. That took a lot of time and I appreciate it. It's always nice to see bloggers format a post in a lovely and informative manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, same thoughts Pili! One fluffy and one dark each year is good. I'm excited for Liars Inc and Vicarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear that, Pearl! I AM EXCITED TO READ LIARS INC TOO! I always have a thing for dark books. Liars Inc and Vicarious seem to deliver just what I need.

    Followed your blog BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Paula! I'm glad you like the feature on Liars Inc! *TACKLE HUGS* Thank you for gracing our blog with your presence. I CANNOT WAIT FOR LIARS INC!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I love dark books! I love getting chills when you find out what the heck is going on! (:

    Thank you for the follow! I follow you guys, too! (:

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS