Thursday, February 12, 2015

Mini Reviews: Contemporaries of the Dark Side

I haven't posted book reviews in a while so here are my not-so-mini reviews of two books I have read that deal with dark, serious issues. Happy reading!

BECAUSE I AM FURNITURE
by

Young Adult - Poetry, Realistic Fiction, Sociology (Abuse)
Published April 16th 2009 by Viking Juvenile
PURCHASE: AmazonBarnes and Noble
GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:
Anke’s father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she’s just an invisible witness in a house of horrors, on the brink of disappearing altogether. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. At first just being exhausted after practice feels good, but as Anke becomes part of the team, her confidence builds. When she learns to yell “Mine!” to call a ball, she finds a voice she didn’t know existed. For the first time, Anke is seen and heard. Soon, she’s imagining a day that her voice will be loud enough to rescue everyone at home—including herself.

REVIEW:
Because I Am Furniture is a compelling contemporary novel that deals with dark and serious issue: child abuse. We hear news about child abuse frequently these days and it's really saddening, in my opinion. What's interesting about this book is that the narrator, Anke, is not the one being abuse. Instead, she just sees or hears what's going on. The ones being abused are her sister, Yaicha, and her brother, Darren.
“I think that is supposed to be good,
that I get less
from him
but I feel

worth

less.”
Anke feels worthless because her father doesn't pay attention to her. I love Anke's determination to survive, though. This novel is way much lighter than Identical by Ellen Hopkins, which I've already read. The abuse scenes in this book are not really detailed, which I liked. This is a very quick read because it was written in a verse way, which I loved. The ending was good for me, everyone is okay and most importantly; happy.

Because I Am Furniture is a beautifully-written novel. It's empowering and hopeful. I would recommend this to readers who enjoys reading novels that deal with realistic and dark issues.

RATING:

IDENTICAL
by

Young Adult - Poetry, Realistic Fiction
Published August 26th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
PURCHASE: AmazonBarnes and Noble
GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:
Sixteen-year-old identical twins must come to terms with their darkest secrets in this poignant tour de force from #1 New York Times bestselling author Ellen Hopkins.

Do twins begin in the womb?
Or in a better place?

Kaeleigh and Raeanne are identical down to the dimple. As daughters of a district-court judge father and a politician mother, they are an all-American family -- on the surface. Behind the facade each sister has her own dark secret, and that's where their differences begin.

For Kaeleigh, she's the misplaced focus of Daddy's love, intended for a mother whose presence on the campaign trail means absence at home. All that Raeanne sees is Daddy playing a game of favorites -- and she is losing. If she has to lose, she will do it on her own terms, so she chooses drugs, alcohol, and sex.

Secrets like the ones the twins are harboring are not meant to be kept -- from each other or anyone else. Pretty soon it's obvious that neither sister can handle it alone, and one sister must step up to save the other, but the question is -- who?


REVIEW:
Did I seriously just read this book?
[Uh, duh. YES YOU JUST DID, KYLA.]


Is it disturbing? YES. Definitely.
Are the characters demented? YES! And not just demented, very unlikable.
Did you liked it? Surprisingly, yes. The demented-ness level is 99999999... which is amazing! I don't know why I'm a big fan of demented people/stories/shows/etc.


This book has some serious shit going on. This book is definitely NOT suitable for everyone. Like Because I Am Furniture, this book also deals with dark and serious ISSUES. It deals with sexual abuse (AKA incest), drugs, sex, and everything in between. The abuse scenes are kind of detailed. Between the Kaeleigh and Raeanne, I liked Kaeleigh's attitude much better. She's more interesting and brave than Raeanne. There are times where I just want to punch the mother and father of the twins. Like, come on, people! You have kids! THINK ABOUT THEM FIRST. Why do both of you have to be so careless?!?!

This book is almost 600 pages but I managed to finish it in a day since it was written in a verse way.
The ending was okay, I have a feeling that everything was going to be all right. Ellen Hopkins' writing style is simply brilliant. I am impressed. Let's talk about the plot twist in this novel, okay? WELL, I DID NOT EXPECT THE PLOT TWIST. Like seriously. Identical is a dark and twisted novel with a mind-blowing twist, I would recommend this to very mature people.

 RATING:

Troglodyte forever, 

Have you read Because I Am Furniture or Identical? What are your thoughts on novels that deals with dark issues? Let me know about your thoughts in the comment section below.

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever read a Ellen Hopkins book ever. I know I might be missing out but I think I won't stomach it :( Great review though! Maybe I'll give Because I Am A Furniture a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still yet to read something by Ellen Hopkins, I'm kind of scared to venture there. Because I am Furniture sounds heartbreaking though. I really would love to read a verse novel on the topic and I appreciate that this one isn't too detailed. Thanks for your reviews!



    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting! I like disturbing books, and dark and twisted is my go to genre :3
    Great review on your part!

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS