Monday, February 16, 2015

Review: Blackfin Sky by Kat Ellis


BLACKFIN SKY
by

Young Adult - Mystery/Thriller, Fantasy
Published May 14th 2014 by Firefly Press
PURCHASE: AmazonBarnes and Noble
GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:
When Sky falls from Blackfin Pier and drowns on her sixteenth birthday, the whole town goes into mourning – until she shows up three months later like nothing happened.

Unravelling the mystery of those missing months takes Sky to the burned-out circus in the woods, where whispers of murder and kidnapping begin to reveal the town’s secrets. But Sky’s not the only one digging up the past – the old mime from the circus knows what happened to her, and he has more than one reason for keeping quiet about it.

[The synopis + cover is from the UK version published by Firefly Press since I have acquired the same version from the author.]
A copy was provided by the author in exchange for my honest review.

Let me start off by saying, I seriously cannot find the right words to describe this book, everything is just so amazing. Yangsze Choo (author of Ghost Bride, a novel I've been dying to read) said that this book is “A wonderful, compulsive read.” and I definitely agree with that statement.
 
Blackfin Sky is such an enthralling read, it kept me up way past midnight. Thoroughly addicting and enjoyable, it captivated my attention since page one until the very end. The revelations about what really happened to Skylar and what Skylar truly is, are definitely shocking.

The characters in this book is genuine and definitely intriguing. It's like everyone is hiding a dark secret. Each character made a impression on me, they're all unique. Skylar Roussea, the MC, is a wise, brave, and smart girl. I definitely adore her. Plus her house is called 'Blood House' and whenever she is there, it gives me goosebumps.

The world building is utterly brilliant, I am impressed. Blackfin is a town, not just any town, it literally feels like ghost town. When I was reading this, I was like with the characters right there on Blackfin and trust me, it feels so CREEPY. Kat Ellis' writing style is eloquent and haunting at the same time. She did a very amazing job on creating Blackfin Sky.

I seriously did not expect the twists and turns in this book which made Blackfin Sky a more enjoyable read. Blackfin Sky is a well-written, fast-paced, and a definitely spooky debut. I highly recommend this to readers who loves mystery with a paranormal twist.

RATING:

Troglodyte forever,
Have you read Blackfin Sky? Do you want to read it? Let me know about your thoughts in the comment section below!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, mystery with a paranormal twist? A thriller that keeps you on your toes... it really sounds fantastic!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS