Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Top Ten Books I Read in 2015









Welcome to my Top 10 books of the year 2015! This going to be so hard to just include 10 books, but I will try my very best. I have divided the list: a) books published in 2015 b) not published in 2015, but I feel like they should be included! I hope you find something interesting in my list of books read in 2015!


Liars, Inc.



For fans of Gone Girl, I Hunt Killers, and TV's How to Get Away with Murder.

Max Cantrell has never been a big fan of the truth, so when the opportunity arises to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, it sounds like a good way to make a little money and liven up a boring senior year. With the help of his friends Preston and Parvati, Max starts Liars, Inc. Suddenly everybody needs something and the cash starts pouring in. Who knew lying could be so lucrative?

When Preston wants his own cover story to go visit a girl he met online, Max doesn’t think twice about hooking him up. Until Preston never comes home. Then the evidence starts to pile up—terrifying clues that lead the cops to Preston’s body. Terrifying clues that point to Max as the murderer.

Can Max find the real killer before he goes to prison for a crime he didn’t commit? In a story that Kirkus Reviews called "Captivating to the very end," Paula Stokes starts with one single white lie and weaves a twisted tale that will have readers guessing until the explosive final chapters. 



None of the Above



A groundbreaking story about a teenage girl who discovers she was born intersex... and what happens when her secret is revealed to the entire school. Incredibly compelling and sensitively told, None of the Above is a thought-provoking novel that explores what it means to be a boy, a girl, or something in between.

What if everything you knew about yourself changed in an instant?

When Kristin Lattimer is voted homecoming queen, it seems like another piece of her ideal life has fallen into place. She's a champion hurdler with a full scholarship to college and she's madly in love with her boyfriend. In fact, she's decided that she's ready to take things to the next level with him.

But Kristin's first time isn't the perfect moment she's planned—something is very wrong. A visit to the doctor reveals the truth: Kristin is intersex, which means that though she outwardly looks like a girl, she has male chromosomes, not to mention boy "parts."

Dealing with her body is difficult enough, but when her diagnosis is leaked to the whole school, Kristin's entire identity is thrown into question. As her world unravels, can she come to terms with her new self?

| Adds to Goodreads | Read my short review below |

NONE OF THE ABOVE is such an important and informative book. Thank you Ilene for raising awareness about this kind of issues. I don't want to spoil anything. JUST GO GET A COPY AND READ!!! It's very easy to read. I did not have problems on understanding the scientific terms. It's a very well-written book targeted to every teen and adults. I will forever recommend None of the Above.
 


The Conspiracy of Us



A fast-paced international escapade, laced with adrenaline, glamour, and romance--perfect for fans of Ally Carter

Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily order a bombing when they want to start a war. Part of a powerful and dangerous secret society called the Circle, they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

To unravel the mystery putting her life in danger, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle—beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But as the clues expose a stunning conspiracy that might plunge the world into World War 3, she discovers that both boys are hiding secrets of their own. Now she will have to choose not only between freedom and family--but between the boy who might help her save the world, and the one she's falling in love with.

| Adds to Goodreads | Read my short review below |

ONE WORD = INTENSE!!!
Maggie Hall's debut is one helluva ride. Code-breaking. Running from secret societies. Traveling to Paris & Istanbul. AHHHHH!!! MY HEART CANNOT TAKE THE AWESOMENESS. Not for the faint of heart. I listened to the audiobook version and I totally recommended it to you!
   


Not After Everything



A gritty but hopeful love story about two struggling teens—
great for fans of The Spectacular Now, Willow, and Eleanor and Park
 Tyler has a football scholarship to Stanford, a hot girlfriend, and a reliable army of friends to party with. Then his mom kills herself. And Tyler lets it all go. Now he needs to dodge what his dad is offering (verbal tirades and abuse) and earn what his dad isn’t (money). Tyler finds a job that crashes him into Jordyn, his former childhood friend turned angry-loner goth-girl. She brings Tyler an unexpected reprieve from the never-ending pity party his life has become. How could he not fall for her? But with his dad more brutally unpredictable than ever, Tyler knows he can’t risk bringing Jordyn too deeply into the chaos. So when violence rocks his world again, will it be Jordyn who shows him the way to a hopeful future? Or after everything, will Tyler have to find it in himself? 

| Adds to Goodreads | Read my short review below |
 
I love how the book feels so real. I could feel Tyler's struggles on dealing with the suicide. He was trying to cope with the heaviness and emptiness he feels. I just wanna hug him tight. Michelle Levy was able to capture an authentic teenage boy POV! It made the book more meaningful and powerful!

I definitely recommend Not After Everything. It's heartbreaking, dark, and hopeful at the same time! This book broke my fragile little heart! I wish more people would read this. This is one of those stories that will be with me. There's so much truth in Michelle Levy's words. Can't wait to read more of her books!
   


Vanished



Gone Girl meets Pretty Little Liars in the first book of this fast-paced psychological thriller series full of delicious twists and turns.

Friendship. Obsession. Deception. Love.

Kalah knows better than to fall for Beth Taylor . . . but that doesn't stop her from falling hard and falling fast, heart first into a sea of complications.

Then Beth vanishes. She skips town on her eighteenth birthday, leaving behind a flurry of rumors and a string of broken hearts. Not even Beth's best friend, Britney, knows where she went. Beth didn't even tell Kalah good-bye.

One of the rumors links Beth to Britney's boyfriend, and Kalah doesn't want to believe the betrayal. But Brit clearly believes it—and before Kalah can sort out the truth, Britney is dead.

When Beth finally reaches out to Kalah in the wake of Brit's suicide, Kalah wants to trust what Beth tells her. But she's swiftly realizing that nothing here is as it seems. Kalah's caught in the middle of a deadly psychological game, and only she can untangle the deceptions and lies to reveal the unthinkable truth.

| Adds to Goodreads | Read my short review below |

The blurb is accurate. It's definitely Gone Girl meets Pretty Little Liars after having read Vanished in just 6 hours or so. I super love it! E. E. COOPER PLEASE GIVE ME BOOK 2!!! WANT NEXT ONE. NOW! PRETTY PLEASE!!!
   


Lock & Key



Ruby, where is your mother?
Ruby knows that the game is up. For the past few months, she's been on her own in the yellow house, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return.
That's how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she hasn't seen in ten years, and Cora's husband Jamie, whose down-to-earth demeanor makes it hard for Ruby to believe he founded the most popular networking Web site around. A luxurious house, fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future; it's a dream come true. So why is Ruby such a reluctant Cinderella, wary and defensive? And why is Nate, the genial boy next door with some secrets of his own, unable to accept the help that Ruby is just learning to give?

| Adds to Goodreads | Read my short review below |

I re-read Lock & Key recently, and this still is my most favorite Sarah Dessen book. This is not a popular opinion since most Sarah Dessen fans find this book to be slow and boring. I understand their sentiments because I think this one focused more on FAMILY. I love topics about family. Moreover, I can see myself in Ruby. Ruby is very guarded because her mother left and that obviously devastated her. The romance took a backseat if you must know, but I love it that way. Not everything in the world is about romantic love.
“It's a lot easier to be lost than found. It's the reason we're always searching and rarely discovered--so many locks not enough keys.”
Sarah Dessen, Lock and Key

   


Along for the Ride



It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend. 

| Adds to Goodreads Read my short review below |

Along for the Ride is a pleasant surprise for me. I do not usually read popular books because I end up hating them, but Along for the Ride is SO good. Auden is very relatable. Both us can't sleep well at night. Both of us are confused with life. So, she took the chance to experience something new, to visit her dad and his new family. It turned out well for Auden. She got to know herself more and I can say the same for myself.

“Who says there has to be a point?" He asked. "Or a reason. Maybe it's just something you have to do.”
Sarah Dessen, Along for the Ride
   


The Truth About Alice



Everyone knows Alice slept with two guys at one party.

But did you know Alice was sexting Brandon when he crashed his car?

It's true. Ask ANYBODY.


Rumor has it that Alice Franklin is a slut. It's written all over the bathroom stall at Healy High for everyone to see. And after star quarterback Brandon Fitzsimmons dies in a car accident, the rumors start to spiral out of control.

In this remarkable debut novel, four Healy High students—the girl who has the infamous party, the car accident survivor, the former best friend, and the boy next door—tell all they know.

But exactly what is the truth about Alice? In the end there's only one person to ask: Alice herself.

| Adds to Goodreads | Read my short review below |

Like None of the Above, I consider The Truth About Alice an important book! Everyone should read it and learn from it. The story is about Alice, but the interesting part is that you get to read the book from the POV of the people connected to Alice. Alice only has one chapter explaining her side. TTAB shows us that a lot can be said about us whether true or not. It reminds us not to easily believe in rumors. That there's always more to the story! Thank you Jennifer for writing about the Alice Franklins in the world.
   


Identical



Do twins begin in the womb?
Or in a better place?

Kaeleigh and Raeanne are identical down to the dimple. As daughters of a district-court judge father and a politician mother, they are an all-American family -- on the surface. Behind the facade each sister has her own dark secret, and that's where their differences begin.

For Kaeleigh, she's the misplaced focus of Daddy's love, intended for a mother whose presence on the campaign trail means absence at home. All that Raeanne sees is Daddy playing a game of favorites -- and she is losing. If she has to lose, she will do it on her own terms, so she chooses drugs, alcohol, and sex.

Secrets like the ones the twins are harboring are not meant to be kept -- from each other or anyone else. Pretty soon it's obvious that neither sister can handle it alone, and one sister must step up to save the other, but the question is -- who?

| Adds to Goodreads | Read my short review below |


This is my first Ellen Hopkins book and I totally love it. Dark and twisted YA kind of book. Exactly my type! I like how the main characters are distinct even though they are identical twins.

Do I recommend this? OH YES!
I am happy I bought this.
   


Before I Go To Sleep


by 


"As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I’m still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me. . . ."Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love—all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may be telling you only half the story.

Welcome to Christine's life.


| Adds to Goodreads | Read my short review below |

I heard of this book because I saw its movie trailer. I got intrigued by the premise so I decided to read the book first. Before I Go To Sleep is from the point of view of the main character Christine. Christine loses her memory every time she goes to sleep. I have never read anything like this. Unique from all the memory-themed books that I have read. I could not put it down. I have to know the whole story. AND THE TWIST DID NOT DISAPPOINT! I TOTALLY DID NOT EXPECT THAT ONE COMING! SJ Watson was able to deliver a suspenseful page-turner. I will definitely read more of his upcoming books.  Would I borrow or buy? BUY. LIKE NOW!
 

What do you think of my top picks?
Link up your Top 10 or Top 15 picks on the comments below! I'll go blog hopping!


2 comments:

  1. Lock and Key is also my favorite Sarah Dessen book. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you too?! I'm glad you love it. I feel like LOCK & KEY's underrated. I wish more people would read it. I hope you compile a list of your top reads this year as well . Thanks for dropping by Suze! :)

      Delete

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS