Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Backlist Revival Project 2: IN OVER HER HEAD by Anne Plaza

Back in January, I announced that I will be working with Ms. Mina Esguerra. We are doing Backlist Revival Project to help bring attention, new reviews, and new readers to books that are a few years old. We will feature a book per month and the featured book of the month is a contemporary romance that was published in 2014 or earlier. So, if you are interested to REVIEW books by Filipino authors, please let us know.

For this month, the featured book is IN OVER HER HEAD by Anne Plaza.


IN OVER HER HEAD
by
Publication Date: October 24th 2013

Goodreads Synopsis:
All she wants is to get even...

Erika Apostol's quiet and unassuming life gets disrupted when she learns that Richard Javier, the very same person who broke her heart many years ago, is now back in the country. Her world is turned upside down as old feelings she thought were buried resurface to haunt her once more.

Determined to give Richard a dose of his own medicine, Erika finds herself involved in an outrageous plan devised by her friends. They enlist the help of Jerome Gonzales, an attractive and charismatic DJ (with a playboy reputation), to pose as her significant other.

As the plan goes in full swing, Erika discovers Richard's jealous side, and that there's something more to Jerome than meets the eye. Will this grand charade work out the way it should, or will she be left with nothing in the end?

|| Add IN OVER HER HEAD on Goodreads ||
|| iBooks || Smashwords || Amazon ||

In Over Her Head is a light and fluffy contemporary romance. It's a perfect staycation read. With nothing to do, I devoured the book last Saturday. I thought I would hate the predictability of the plot, but I ended up cheering for the main characters, Erika and Richard.

Erika got dumped by Richard ten years ago. Then, they meet again because of a get-together. She did not want to seem like a loser in front of now successful program developer Richard. Erika and her friends devised a plan to make Richard jealous so they tagged this hot DJ to become Erika's pretend boyfriend. 

I hated Richard. He left her without any explanation and ten years later he comes back like it's nothing! I was surprised on how everything came together in the end. Anne was able to write that particular scene (sorry, no spoilers.) very well. 

I understood where Erika was coming from. There are things that we could not just let go. We've all been there! In Over Her Head is all about choices. Will she stay in the past or will she finally move forward?

Read this and find who Erika will end up with. If you love stories of great friendships and second chances, don't miss Anne Plaza's amazing debut! 

"You're so caught up in your past that you're forgetting to live in the present. I told you that I like you, and apparently that counts for nothing."


Excerpt


Elaine banters with Richard and I’m left alone with my thoughts. I can’t help but think about what they both said, feeling like I’m caught in the middle of two raging storms. I have to settle this mess once and for all, and I know for a fact that will involve blowing the cover for this entire charade. It may all be for the best; I’m already getting worn out with the pretense. Heck, I don’t even know what’s real and what’s for show.


God, the stupid things I sign up for.


Just then, Jerome’s phone vibrates, the backlights flashing to reveal an incoming call. I freeze on the spot when I see what’s displayed on the screen:


Babe calling…


Who the heck is this “babe”? I look around furtively for Jerome, wondering what the hell is taking him so long. And why did he just leave his phone out here? I look at the phone again, feeling the cold sweat form over my brow. My hands are shaking and my heart is beating so fast, I struggle to breathe.


I don’t know why I’m even affected seeing this mystery caller on Jerome’s phone. We’re not in a relationship and I definitely don’t have any feelings for him, right? I take a deep breath and try to calm my frazzled nerves.


To my horror, I catch Richard looking at the blinking cellphone with a bewildered expression on his face. He looks at me, his brow in a tight knot. Our eyes meet and I know for certain that the game is up.


Oh no.
 

About Anne Plaza:
Anne Plaza writes contemporary romance, young adult, and speculative fiction novellas. She has been into writing since high school and has been actively pursuing it on a professional level despite having a totally unrelated bachelor’s degree. Her first contemporary New Adult romance novella In Over Her Head was published in 2013 and was subsequently nominated for the 2014 Filipino Reader’s Choice Awards Romance in English.

When not writing, Anne juggles time in her day job, obsessing over her TV show fandoms, and shopping for new books to add to her growing TBR pile.

CONNECT WITH ANNE:


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting comments from all of you, dear Trogs. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS