by Jessica Love
Thomas Dunne Books (St. Martin's Press)
Publication Date: March 1, 2016
Hardcover: 978-1-250-06471-4 / $18.99
eBook: 9781466870994 / $9.99
Want to know more about IN REAL LIFE? Check out my interview with Jessica Love below!
1. Hello, Miss Jessica. It's an honor to have you on the blog. So, could you tell us more about your novel, IN REAL LIFE?
Thank you so much for having me! It’s an honor to be here!
IN REAL LIFE is about two best friends, Hannah and Nick, who were introduced by their older siblings online when they were in 8th grade and have been BFFs ever since...but they have never met in person. Over Spring Break of her senior year, Hannah finally realizes she might have some more-than-friend feelings for Nick, so she hops in a car with her sister and her IRL bestie and they road trip to Las Vegas, where Nick lives, to surprise him. Once they get there, though, Hannah finds out that he hasn’t been totally honest with her, and things go crazy from there. It takes place over one wild weekend in Las Vegas.
2. Could you tell us more about Hannah and Nick?
Hannah grew up with a wild child older sister, so she’s a total good girl. She always follows the rules, always does what she’s supposed to. But at the beginning of the book, following the rules backfires on her, and she decided to spend her spring break going a little crazy. Hannah is indecisive, quick to judge, nervous about doing big things, and prone to running away from her problems. But she’s also a loyal friend who ultimately learns how to open herself up to new experiences.
Nick is a bit of an awkward character. The reason his friendship with Hannah works so well is because he can hide his awkwardness behind the screen or the phone. Nick is the ultimate introvert. He loves his privacy, he has a love/hate relationship with his brother, and he’s very conflict-averse. But he also cares very deeply about the people in his life.
3. What inspired you to write IN REAL LIFE?
A reality show! I was watching a reality show where two people who had only known each other over the phone were meeting for the first time. (Not Catfish...I actually had this story written before the first season of Catfish ever aired!) I have a lot of internet friends I’ve never met in person, so I loved the idea and sat down pretty quickly after that to start the book.
4. Do we get to read the story from both Hannah and Nick's perspectives?
This book is just from Hannah’s POV. Although I do have one key scene written in Nick’s POV...I may share it on my website or something once the book has been out a little bit longer. (Getting things from Nick’s POV makes this scene a bit of a spoiler!)
5. Why should readers read IN REAL LIFE?
I think people who are looking for a fun, fluffy romance will enjoy it.
AUTHORS' SOCIAL LINKS
Please read the rules first before entering. If you have more questions, email me or tweet me.
• Giveaway is open to US/CAN residents only.
• Must be 13+ or have parent's permission to join this giveaway.
• Carmel & Kyla or St. Martin's Press shall not be held responsible for lost/damaged mails.
• Do NOT cheat. We do not tolerate cheating and everyone knows that cheaters never prosper!
• Once the giveaway ends, an email will be sent to the chosen winner. If the winner doesn't reply within 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen.